A lot of people believe that cheap entry level cameras are a no-no for wedding photography. In the United States, Canada and United Kingdom, wedding photography form a huge bulk of the digital photography. Most industry experts find a huge fault using cheap digital cameras for wedding photography. The advancement of technology has improved the speed, responsiveness and overall image quality of cheap entry level digital camera and at this stage, I have rounded up the best cheap digital cameras for wedding photography.
I have a strong believe that technological advancement have improved the capabilities of cheap entry level digital cameras in handling wedding photography perfectly.
Best Cheap Digital Cameras For Wedding Photography
Now this an excellent APS-C sized sensor digital camera with features beginner and enthusiastic photographers will readily fall in love with. Although there has been a successor (the nikon D3400) to the capable nikon D3300, I will always recommend the D3300 due to some features which can be found on the D3300 but eventually dropped on the nikon D3400. This camera is perfect for wedding photography due to it’s small form factor, responsiveness, auto-focus speed and pretty fast continuous shooting. Need I remind you you that nikon has a vast range of affordable premium lens you can choose from for your wedding photography.
- 24.2 megapixel image sensor with 12-bit resolution. Optical low-pass filter removed
- 5 Frames per second
Expeed 4 with 1080p video in 60p/50p fps
- New viewfinder with 0.85 magnification
Panorama mode (Nikon’s first DSLR)
- New auto flash modes.
Carbon-fiber-reinforced polymer, smaller and lighter body
- EN-EL14a and EN-EL14 batteries with enhanced battery life of 700 shots, also due to the new Expeed 4 processor
- Wi-Fi is an optional extra via the WU-1a adapter, which slides into the left side of the camera
- 3.5mm mic port
I really won’t call this an entry level digital camera but at $600, it is damn cheap. The Sony a6000 is a mirrorless interchangeable lens camera (MILC), which has a smaller body form factor than a traditional DSLR while retaining the sensor size and features of an APS-C -sized model. It is targeted at professionals, experienced users, and enthusiastics.
The Sony a6000 features a 24 mega pixels Exmor HD APS-C sensor, 11 frames per second shooting, and the world’s fastest auto-focus as of its time of release. The sony a6000 will do very well for wedding photography.
- 24.3 megapixel APS-C CMOS sensor
- Bionz X image processor
- Hybrid AF system with 25 contrast-detect and 179 phase-detect points
- Built-in flash + Multi-Interface Shoe
- 11 fps continuous shooting with subject-tracking
- 3-inch tilting LCD with 921,600 dots
- OLED electronic viewfinder with 1.44M dots
- Diffraction correction, area-specific noise reduction, and detail reproduction technology
- Full HD video recording at 1080/60p and 24p; clean HDMI output
- Wi-Fi with NFC capability and downloadable apps
Canon EOS 750D
Also known as the T6i in North America, the Canon EOS 750D is an excellent digital camera for wedding photography. The T6i features a 24.3 megapixel APS-C CMOS sensor. The features found on the Canon EOS is well adapted to suite wedding photography. Kudos to the fast hybrid auto-focus and the usable wide ISO range on the Canon EOS 750D.
Canon also has a wide range of lenses one can easily pick up, coupled with its world wide availability and bubbling second-hand market.
- 24.2 effective megapixel
APS-C CMOS sensor
- 19 AF points, all cross-type at f/5.6. Center point is high precision, double cross-type at f/2.8 or faster
- DIGIC 6 image processor with 14- bit processing
- Hybrid CMOS AF III
ISO 100 – 12800 (expandable to H: 25600)
- 95% viewfinder frame coverage with 0.82x magnification
- 1080p Full HD video recording at 24p , 25p (25
Hz ) and 30p (29.97 Hz) with drop frame timing
- 720p HD video recording at 60p (59.94 Hz) and 50p (50 Hz)
480p ED video recording at 30p and 25p
- 5 frames per second
- 3.0″ (7.7 cm) vari-angle Clear View II LCD touchscreen with 1,040,000 dots resolution .
- 3.5 mm microphone jack for external microphones or recorders
- Wi-Fi + NFC connectivity
- “Anti-flicker” (introduced on the EOS 7D Mk II ) – the camera can be set to automatically delay the moment of exposure to compensate for flickering electric lightingBest
Best Cheap Digital Cameras For Wedding Photography:
The Nikon D5500 is quite pricey but its successor (the Nikon D5600) is even pricier. The Nikon is feature packed and very responsive too, which makes it a perfect option for wedding photography. The D5500 is worth every single dollar, I must confess. Its image quality, auto-focus speed and general responsiveness keeps blowing me away!
The Nikon D5xxx series sits on top of the D3xxx range of entry level digital camera.
- 24.2MP CMOS sensor with no optical low-pass filter
- Ultra-compact and lightweight body
- Multi-CAM 4800DX 39-point autofocus system
- 2,016-pixel RGB metering sensor, used for 3D subject tracking in AF-C
- Sensitivity range of ISO 100-25,600
- 5 fps continuous shooting
1/4000 sec maximum shutter speed
- 3.2″, 1.2M dot fully-articulating touchscreen LCD display
- 1080/60p video with clean output over HDMI and Flat Picture Control
- Built-in Wi-Fi
The Sony a58
The last on my list is the Sony a58. Now this camera is affordable and packed with features for wedding photography. It has got excellent image quality, it is responsive and has a decent collection of A-mount lens you can choose from.
The Sony a58 uses a fixed translucent mirrorless technology which allows for faster auto-focus and continuous shooting.
- 20.1MP APS sensor
- 8fps continuous shooting
- Translucent Mirror Technology
- 1080/60i/24p HD video
15-point AF sensor with 3 cross sensors
- 1.2 million dot resolution EVF
2.8-inch flip-out 460k LCD monitor
- ISO range 100-16000
Auto object framing
- SteadyShot Image Stabilization
- Auto HDR
- Picture Effects
- Multi-frame noise reduction
Handheld Twilight mode
In digital photography, equipments matter to some extent but the most important thing is the man behind the equipment!